Causes could be …
1. Your alarm rang at that time in the natural sleep cycle where your brain is expected to be in a slump while it rewires.
2. You feel overwhelmed by changes in technology or other complex systems at work – and perhaps you’ve slipped into a Hebbian worker role through too many routines at work.
3. Energy and zip that you see in more successful peers … seems to have passed you by.
4. You feel edgy, cranky, or anxious – even though you cannot pinpoint a specific reason for that raw nerve edge.
5. Problems appear to loom bigger, resources have shrunk, and solutions seem far too few
6. Boredom surrounds you and you’ve lost your sense of wonder
7. People around you seem to add stress and negativity
8. Life is too serious and you find yourself runing from cortisol into crisis
A few suggestions to awaken your brain …
1. Set the clock to awaken during a lighter cycle of sleep.
2. Reorganize a larger project, by breaking it down into doable parts. Smart skills can help you to reposition parts into a 5-bulleted step-by-step sequence - that your brain can handle.
3. Park farther away from the door and walk... take the stairs ... or run on the spot. Blood rates and blood pressure tend to rise sharply in the morning – and movement will balance your mental mix.
4. Drink more water. Did you know that your brain consists of about 80% water – and it's far livlier when hydrated.
5. Alter your brain waves from fast to slow at night - and slow to fast during the day -- as you solve a stubborn problem that draws from a hidden or unused intelligence.
6. Expect new adventures and curiosity when you ask a two-footed question.
7. Run from stress that shrinks your brain, by listening to your favorite CD an the way to work – and encourage others to avoid meta messages.
8. Laugh – especially at yourself – and add to the serotonin that exchanges slumps for well being and success.
We know so much more - yet it only works when we use it. Research about the brain’s plasticity, for instance, now shows how we can actually rewire our brains for lively adventures. These tip will jumpstart your brain to you live and laugh closer to the edges at work. Did I just say laugh?